- Crib: Of course, crib is the most essential item to buy before you bring your baby home. Though one could easily manage for the first few months with a bassinet or in my case, a DockATot (more below), but a nursery just isn’t complete without a crib. Besides looking for one that is both safe and comfortable, when you live in a not-so-big-apartment like us choosing one that is also simple and lightweight becomes equally important – this crib from Ikea perfectly fit that bill for us.
- DockATot: This has to be hands down my baby’s favorite thing ever, he loves to snuggle and lounge in it (besides his grandparents lap of course) at all times. The best thing though is how we move the DockATot* around the house – living room, grandparents room, study area (and now that the weather is warming up I cannot wait to take it outdoors) so we can enjoy my little one’s company through the day as we go about our daily chores. If not for Gugu Guru, I would have never discovered this amazing product (make note, it’s a must have!). Choose from white or a multitude of colors and patterns on their website.
- Crib Mattress / Mattress Pad / Waterproof Pad: As new parents, it’s ‘hello cutesie’ but ‘bye, bye sleep’ 🙁 And if parents need all the sleep they can get, they better make sure the baby sleeps well. Since the baby spends most of his/her time sleeping, a safe and comfortable mattress is an absolute must and what better than the organic, non-toxic Ultra Breathable 2-Stage Organic Crib Mattress from Naturepedic*. Happy baby = happy parents 🙂 This mattress is firm and waterproof, and the breathable mattress pad provides maximum airflow between the baby and the mattress. Another plus is that the mattress is good for your baby right from his infant years (use the firm side) all the way to his toddler years (use the cushion firm side).
- Fitted Crib Sheet / Blanket: The ‘Into the woods’ organic fitted crib sheet and the dream blanket is made from the most breathable fabric and is oh-so-soft and comfy, as is any other product from Aden + Anais*. The blanket is not just for sleeping but is also perfect for tummy time, cuddling and snuggling (too bad they don’t come in adult size ;)). Aden + Anais has the most fun prints which complement any nursery decor.
- Baby Monitor: The baby movement monitor from Angelcare* gives one the ultimate peace of mind (especially for first-time parents) with it’s 4.3″ touchscreen display, wireless movement sensor pad and activity tracker. The temperature display is an added plus given that the weather in Seattle has been bipolar this year and has me constantly reach for the thermostat. Watching my baby from anywhere in the house definitely puts me at ease and I don’t have to run to the room to check on him every 5 mins 😉
- Mobile Soothers: Did not realize just how useful a baby mobile was until our little one peacefully fell asleep to the nursery music and nature sounds. I especially like the glowing leaves and the projected stars on the ceiling. It also comes with a remote, yes please! And this mobile from SkipHop* goes perfectly with our Safari themed nursery!
- Microwave Steam Sterilizer: This Philips Sterilizer operates at a higher temperature than dishwashers and makes it easy to sterilize bottles, breast pump accessories, cups and more.
- Nursing Pillow / Cover: A nursing pillow is a must for comfortable breastfeeding. The Boppy Pillow transitions to the perfect support pillow for different stages of your baby’s development including propping, tummy time and learning to sit. One of my friends also recommends ‘My Brest Friend’ nursing pillow.
- Breastpump: A breastpump is a new mom’s best friend. Even if you are a SAHM, there is always a need for a good electric pump, especially if you want to increase your milk supply.
- Baby Wash and Shampoo: Made with natural clarifying tear-free foaming formula the Babyganics* baby wash and shampoo is non-allergenic and is extra gentle on skin.
- Bath Sponge: The Konjac Baby Sponge is a soothing bath sponge made with vitamin & mineral rich Konjac for delicate and tender skin.
- Caps / Socks / Mittens / Booties
- Electric Nail Trimmer: It was surprising how big this little cutie’s nails were when he was born! And I wouldn’t have had the courage to cut his nails if not for this amazing product – the Trimmo Electric Nail File (with built-in LED) from Olababy* sure made it easy on this new mommy to trim my baby’s nails.
- Baby Bouncer: The Bouncer Bliss from BabyBjörn* is a great option to not just play but also to calm down a fussy baby. This compact bouncer provides proper neck and back support for the newborns and can be set to two different positions – playing and resting. The Bouncer Bliss is the first thing our little handsome sat on when we brought him home.
- Activity Gym: It’s every baby’s (and parents) favorite! This two position (explore or tummy time and more) activity gym from SkipHop* includes 20 developmental activities. The best part about it is being able to insert the smartphone behind the mirror to take baby photos or video chat with grandparents.
- Stroller: The Vida stroller from Babyhome* is an ultra-lightweight and stylish stroller that comes loaded with amazing features. It can be used from day one with its harness extra position for newborn. A big plus is the adjustable handlebar (perfect to adjust height for my husband or I as needed). It is also super compact and great for traveling. I love that it comes with a weather cover to protect my little one from all the rain here in Seattle.
- Car Seat: It’s the single most important item without which you cannot leave the hospital and bring your baby home. Do enough research to find a car seat that is not just safe but one that will fit your car and can also be used along with your stroller.
- Diaper Bag: There is no stepping out of the house without being well equipped to take care of your baby on the go – a functional yet stylish diaper bag (that can also fit my laptop) is most essential to do so. Not just for the mom, but when dad’s share equal responsibility why not buy a unisex bag like this one from Twelvelittle* that the dad wouldn’t mind carrying around. A post on Diaper Bag Essentials will be coming to the blog soon, stay tuned.
- Be sure to check out the Hospital Bag Essentials Checklist post for additional items that are absolutely necessary to stock up on for the new mom.
If you are an expecting parent, hope this checklist is useful to you. And if you are not expecting, then be sure to pass it along to someone who is 😉